terse & at large

GRRRRR. Arrrgh. And sometimes a travel log.

Wednesday, February 04, 2004

Service in Singapore

So, what is it about the service industry in Singapore that needs to be changed?

Everything.

I just had a call from a bank, which shall remain unnamed, whose telemarketer began by saying, "I know that you've told my colleague who called you some weeks ago that you didn't want such and such an overdraft option. But... can I interest you in an overdraft option?"

What the...?

Which part of 'no' did you not understand, lady?

Then there's also the other kind. I have been with my internet service provider since 1996. I've been on the same plan for the last 5 years, ever since I got my first ADSL modem (which sucks, by the way. There's apparently a known problem with the modem itself and to remedy it, I have to go all the way to the only service centre in Singapore: International Business Park... somewhere in the boondocks of West Jurong). I find out recently that my plan, for a measly 24 hours of access every month costs more than the current plans they have which offer unlimited access.

Again, what the...?

Hello, throw me a bone here. And to think I was irritated by the telemarketers in Canada, where I was studying, who would call me up everytime there was a different phone plan available. Or when they'd detect I'm using more of a service than another and offer to switch me to a different plan without charge. They'd call in the middle of dinner or something, which is why I get irritated, but now I know, at least they cared. What? I'm supposed to check up on your website every day to see if I'm being shafted?

What's the point of this? I need to get out of here. Wherever I travel, even -- especially? -- to Third World countries, the service is tons better than what we get here. People are more willing to help, even when they have nothing to gain from it. The tour operator in Hanoi told us that it would be cheaper to join another tour where the economies of scale would benefit us. Shock! When's the last time that happened in Singapore? I think part of why I enjoy myself more when I get out of here (apart from the weather) is how everyone else goes the extra distance to make sure I'm satisfied. I'm savvy enough to know that there will be some others out there who are out to make a quick buck off me, but the large majority of the people are genuinely concerned about what you think about them and their country.

We don't get that here, and that's sad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home