terse & at large

GRRRRR. Arrrgh. And sometimes a travel log.

Sunday, February 13, 2005

Meulaboh, Part 10

Previous...


Meulaboh, Day 2 #10
Originally uploaded by Terz.

Day 2 Charlie
I'm back on the Endeavour and waiting for the camera batteries to be recharged (and to complete downloading the images to the laptop). While the others have their dinner, I'm sitting in the corner nearest the power points for all the electronic equipment I have that needs recharging and thinking about the day that has just gone by. It's the end of Day 2 and I've shot almost 950 images.

I haven't been eating dinners at all since we've been in Meulaboh. The strange thing is, I don't feel the need. I'm focused on downloading all the images, formatting both CF cards and recharging my batteries for the next day's shooting. I can't sleep either. My sleep has been restless since we arrived. I sleep no more than two hours per night, but every morning, I feel energetic enough to face another day on shore. It's a strange thing.

Somehow, I'm feeling more helpless now than I did while back in Singapore and wondering if there was something more I could do to help. I've documented, I've done carpentry, I've moved mud and dirt, I've made some sort of contact with the people in the neighbourhood. I've tried my best to be an ambassador. Yet, somehow, it feels that I've not done enough.

I was talking to Eddie earlier. He's right: words just aren't enough. There's nothing we can say to let people at home know what we've seen and experienced. At that moment, I remember wanting to go home as quickly as I can and holding my wife for as long as I can and just spending time with my family, friends and loved ones.

Samuel comes by in the middle another of the pointless debriefs he has to attend as team leader on the pretext of plugging in his mobile phone to be recharged. Apparently, we are to take on one of the other groups for tomorrow. The other two groups have finished what they're supposed to do and some have asked to come to the school, our school, to help with the clean-up.

No. Fuckin'. Way.

(To be continued)

Next...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home