terse & at large

GRRRRR. Arrrgh. And sometimes a travel log.

Friday, January 14, 2005

Cut, Part 3 / Summary

"At least, we dinnae get dressed up for nuthin'." - Hamish Campbell, from Braveheart.


So, it's confirmed. And since there's no way to talk about this without sounding like a gloryhound, I'll just state the facts and leave it at that:

1. The haircut on Tuesday (for a completely unrelated reason) became appropriate when I found out that there was the possibility of an overseas assignment on Wednesday. I had known something was afoot, but until I got confirmation, it wasn't worth the speculation.

2. I leave today for Meulaboh, in Aceh, as part of a team of 12 sent from Mercy Relief, which, in turn, is part of a larger group of 60something, gathered from other relief organisations.

(2a. I'm really happy that the departure time got bumped back. Otherwise, I'd have had to report 5 minutes ago.)

3. I had my first boosters for typhoid and tetanus in a long while. The tetanus jab still makes the arm sore, after all these years. And I'm supposed to finish a course of 30 doses of antibiotics, one dose every day.

4. I should be back by the 24th.

5. I may not be contactable - despite the availability of mobile connection in-theatre and a free phone and prepaid SIM card in the goodie bag we're all getting - and therefore, will not be updating this blog for a while.

6. It's sea state 3 where we going right now, so I'm also looking forward to a helluva time enroute.

7. And no, I don't know what I'm thinking or expecting.


So, um, signing off now. See y'all in about two weeks.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home