terse & at large

GRRRRR. Arrrgh. And sometimes a travel log.

Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Meulaboh, Part 13

Previous...

Day 3 Charlie
I can't get to sleep.

At 2100 hours, I give up trying and head up to the main deck.

Some of the others are there as well, watching the movie of the day, a tedious Hongkong movie trying to be arthouse. J comes to me saying that he's heard that I've some photographs of corpses and would I mind if he got a copy of them.

"... sure..."

I guess some people are still in the tsunami tourist, I'm-here-to-gawk stage. It made me think about how some of the bodies had been described as char siew (or any of the other types of roast meats) by some of the others on the trip and how sick it had made me feel. I would have thought that spending this much time in-country (though short by anyone else's measure) would have made people more sensitive to their surroundings, or about what they say.

I guess not.

It takes me another three hours before I am ready to go to bed. By then, I'm physically, mentally and emotionally exhausted. From what I can see in the thumbnails as the images are downloaded into the PowerBook, the pictures are turning out great. It'll be a while, though, before I look at them again for post-pro work. I need to distance myself from them a while. For now, I'm feeling good at least about something.

Then we find out that we will be going back to shore tomorrow anyway; all the rumours having been proven false.

(To be continued)

Next...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home