terse & at large

GRRRRR. Arrrgh. And sometimes a travel log.

Monday, May 09, 2005

Random Thoughts

If you're a pedigree dog of some sort, and your master can only afford some bits of raffia as a leash, and then insists on walking you some place very public and very embarrassing, I say, run! Run far, far away!

***

So, I was checking my bank account on the internet today and noticed that IRAS has already deducted the income tax monthly payments for 2004 (based on their estimates, of course, of what I would've earned) through GIRO for May. What I want to know is, if someone can sue the pants off them for that (or at least give me my fucking lost interest for the money that's gone from my account - the money, incidentally, which "better be in my account for them to deduct, otherwise, I will get into trouble") since I've been trying since February to call them to cancel the GIRO arrangement; I mean, we, the common people, get into trouble because we miss payments or we forget to pay something and whoever's owed the money comes down onto us like a ton of bricks and they get away with it. But we can't do the same thing to them?

I mean, what. The. Fuck?

And if anyone's keeping track, still no word from IRAS about the buggy server they have which has prevented me from filing my returns. So much for, "we have received your email. For emails on matters relating to e-Services Authorisation System (EASY) or myTax Portal, we will respond to you within 3 working days."

And it was just two years ago that someone mentioned that IRAS was the best-working body in the government? What a crock of shit.

***

Speaking of buggy servers, I haven't been getting any mail on my PacNet account for a while. I'm seriously beginning to wonder if keeping the stupid dial-up (28.8 bps) account just to keep my user id on is worth all the trouble...

Someone from PacNet reading this? Don't fuck with me.

6 Comments:

  • At 10:09 PM, May 09, 2005, Blogger Unknown said…

    Dude, you need to get a new email address and ditch the 28.8 account lah.

    Gmail is good and free (I can invite you if you want).

    And Fastmail.fm is a great service (free and also paid). I pay US$40 for a reliable email service (that's about S$5 a month). Love them to bits.

     
  • At 10:31 PM, May 09, 2005, Blogger Terz said…

    Ah, no lah... running on Starhub Cable modem... just keeping the dial-up account running on 28.8 just for the user id.

    My ingterneck is really faster than that.

     
  • At 11:44 PM, May 09, 2005, Blogger wahj said…

    The best way to get results from IRAS, or any organ of the civil service, is to send a letter. Make it as formal and serious as you can. Make it clear that you've done more than your fair share of the work, and someone at that end isn't doing their job. Keep a copy of your letter.

     
  • At 8:17 AM, May 10, 2005, Blogger Terz said…

    I was hoping for something a little more Al Capone-esque a la The Untouchables - but they probably won't let me into the building with a baseball bat.

    Nah, I'm seeing if I can make it this afternoon to go down personally, though I don't see why I should inconvenience myself further because of someone else's fuck-up.

     
  • At 11:10 AM, May 10, 2005, Blogger Wes & Jo said…

    i was in IT back in mid 90s when i heard about some giro issues. the auto-deduct-till-you-write-letter thing is a feature, not a bug. advise that put whatever stuff you can off giro.

     
  • At 11:22 AM, May 10, 2005, Blogger Terz said…

    Well, there you go.

    Convenience. Hyeah. Whatever.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home