terse & at large

GRRRRR. Arrrgh. And sometimes a travel log.

Wednesday, February 11, 2004

She Bang, She Bang...

With that unpleasantness behind me, I can now proceed to talk about my day.

It's been twelve years, so I'd forgotten how painfully amusing JC morning assemblies can be. First, though, the students were given the luxury of sitting down during the announcements because there were too many of them (announcements, not students); something that was never done when I was a student. It's good on their knees, but certainly bad on the seats of their pants/ skirts/ pinafores. Especially those from schools whose forebears thought they'd look good in white/ light-coloured bottoms.

The painfully amusing event was when the announcements were made by the student councillors or house captains for various activities slated to take place during the week. They consisted primarily of short skits by pairs of students advertising various activities in the college.

Cringe-worthy stuff.

The best bit was the oblique tribute to William Hung, the UC Berkeley civil engineering student from Hong Kong who thought he was good enough to be the next American Idol. That caught the attention of the rest of the student population who had been, heretofore, engaged in their own scattered conversations throughout the assembly area.

I'm pretty sure the kid didn't have professional training either, but he was damn good though, right down to the hand gestures and little shakes of his bootie. He got the biggest cheer at the end of his announcement.

I say: well done!

But to get to the point: I'd forgotten that student councillors have to have no shame to do the things they do. I was cringing with embarrassment for them throughout the whole thing. Then again, I'm an old fuddy-duddy who might have been just as asinine when I was younger. Repression is a good thing sometimes.

Once that was done, I was pretty much left to my own devices since Sprite's time-table on Wednesday consisted only of a GP lecture. I finished marking the work that was left for me, met up and chatted with some other ex-students in the canteen, played around with Photoshop on my PowerBook and then clocked out after the prerequisite time of 5.5 hours had been met.

A good day. Tomorrow, I start teaching. Again.

Sigh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home