terse & at large

GRRRRR. Arrrgh. And sometimes a travel log.

Thursday, February 26, 2004

A**holes R Us

I guess there really isn't an age limit to being an asshole. Was in the cab line for about fifteen minutes this morning when I finally spotted a City Cab (2203) approaching. Just when I was to commit myself by stepping off the sidewalk onto the first three rather precarious steps leading to the street level, an elderly couple quite blithely potong'ed me. Moved damned fast for their age too.

Bloody hell.

The worst thing? The cabbie who saw me, signalled, then filtered left, when he saw me, and who finally pulled up in front of me, simply shrugged his shoulders when the aforementioned wrinkled rectal units* opened the door and got in.

Yeah, thanks buddy. That's really helpful. But it doesn't affect you one way or another, does it? You still get your fare.

Then there was another one yesterday, when I was at NUS to drop off the latest batch of photos for the Conservatory, who launched into a diatribe against 'bloody university students'. Apparently, the passenger before me (who "got on at a hotel," he remarked rather pointedly -- hyeah, so?) told him that she knew where she was going, but who got lost once they were in Kent Ridge. He then went on to say, "Don't expect me to know my way around the university. I didn't study here. Otherwise I won't be [sic] taxi driver already!"

I'm sorry for your complex, but hey, I didn't graduate from NUS either, so don't complain to me. However, I'm pretty sure my sense of direction is a lot better than yours -- funny, innit? Cabbies who don't know their way around? I knew, for example, that to get to Peninsula Plaza after coming off the CTE at the Merchant Road off-ramp and turning left at Hill Street, one turns right at High Street, at the intersection just in front of MITA, and then do the Parliament Place-Colombo Court loop around The Adelphi and back up Coleman Street. Not take the scenic route past several intersections that have not allowed right turns for all the time I've been driving in Singapore since I returned from Canada (seven years, at least), finally turning right only at Middle Road, then taking me the same distance back to my destination. What's that about? You want to take your little frustrations at not being able to study hard enough (not "well enough" -- I've always believed how far one progresses in education is all about effort, not talent) to go on to university out on someone, take it out on someone else who actually reads at NUS. I'm just a freelance photographer dropping off photos, so keep me out of it.

And people wonder why we seldom have anything nice to say about cabbies.


* I'm quite pleased there isn't an age limit to being an asshole. I plan on being one for as long as I live and for as long as there's an afterlife.



On a slightly related tangent (of labels, stereotypes and other fun categories), I proudly present my Geek code:

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version 3.12
GCC/L/SS/ED/O d- s: a C++ W++ w-- M+ PS+ PE t+ 5+++ X++ R+ tv+ b++ DI++ D+ e++ h--- r+++ y+++
-----END GEEK CODE BLOCK-----

Use the Geek Code Decoder Ring.

I hope I got it right...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home