terse & at large

GRRRRR. Arrrgh. And sometimes a travel log.

Monday, October 04, 2004

The Update, As Promised

11:51 am:

At the MRT station.

If the kid says, "It's not that far," don't. Bloody. Contradict. Him and say that it's VERY far. Bad enough we have kids who probably have not walked an unbroken mile in their lives (not with those crappy heelies abound), parents don't have to them all lazier.

***

12:48 pm:

At the Post Centre, after being in line for 37 minutes, I am told, "Oh, you want the SingPass number? We can do it but it will take 5 days. You can go to the CDC upstairs and get it done immediately."

OH. MY. GOD! How much more time wasting can I expect today?

So, yes, here's the update: the CPF website does indeed royally suck. Nowhere on the damn thing does it say that there's a time lag between going to the counter at the CPF Building, or to a CDC, compared to going to a Post Office.

***

13:11 pm:

Still fuming and having left the Post Centre, I'm on my way to the HDB Geylang Branch Office.

OK, lady, if you know that the centreline of your jeans isn't lining up with your butt-crack, forcing you to adjust it every ten to fifteen steps, then you know you need to do something about the way you walk.

***

13:19pm:

"OH. MY. GOD! How much more time wasting can I expect today?

I should not have asked.

You know it's going to be a long day when there are just three numbers in the queue before you, but the average waiting time is 35 minutes (or so the bright red numbers on the electronic board says).

And 35 minutes is too much time witness how bitter and distrusting the elderly in Singapore are. There were some really raw emotions three counters over where an old lady was crying because she has to pay for the rental of her one-roomer out of her savings because she's living with two others who aren't able to pay their share.

Reason #4 why I want to leave this place. I'd really hate to grow old here, living off nothing once my economic worth to the country has ended.

***

14:24pm:

At ACRA. And resisting the urge to Alt-Tab through different windows while I wait for the registration screen to load up. Windoze XP has a lot to answer for.

***

14:50pm:

BUT.

BUT.

Finally I have a business. And it only took three hours, 75% of which was waiting time. Now how's that for a world class system?

~ismsPictures will begin operations on 1 November 2004.

Now I'm off to worry about the website...

4 Comments:

  • At 6:17 PM, October 04, 2004, Blogger NARDAC said…

    you're a super-size dork. how can you complain when it takes you 3 hours to set up a company...even if you're waiting, there's fucking enough proof here that at least your gov't is working pretty damn hard...I can't imagine what you'd do if you came here. your head would explode in one day.

    sorry to slag so hard but, dude, get a grip.

     
  • At 6:33 PM, October 04, 2004, Blogger Terz said…

    But, but I wasn't complaining that it took three hours... I was expecting it to take longer... I was only unhappy that it was 135 minutes of unnecessary waiting.

    Sniff!

     
  • At 8:58 AM, October 05, 2004, Blogger Yuhui said…

    Now I'm off to worry about the website...Oops, I guess that's where I come in.

    Re: SingPass
    You could've done it all online, actually. When you go CPF's website and try to login, there should be a link to say you forgot your SingPass and need a new one. It will then be sent to you by snail mail. That's what I've done *twice*. But then I suppose you needed it urgently, so...

    Re: Registering a business
    I thought this could be done online? Why'd you need to make the trip to ACRA?

     
  • At 11:11 AM, October 05, 2004, Blogger Terz said…

    Yeah, SingPass was an urgent thing; I had to get it before heading down to ACRA - no one knows if I'm up-to-date with my Medisave payments, remember?

    And going down to ACRA was another necessity: no SingPass, no online application. And since I was already out of the house to get my SingPass, I figured I ought to be at ACRA in person just in case something else merry happens on an arsed-luck day.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home