terse & at large

GRRRRR. Arrrgh. And sometimes a travel log.

Friday, November 12, 2004

More bad

It was only during dinner this evening, on the floor of G's newly renovated place, that Wahj commented that I seem to be having really arsed luck with cabbies recently.

Well. While the missus and I weren't sure if the cabbie who drove us to HV this evening was dozing off at the wheel, I was pretty fuckin' sure that the cabbie driving us back from the same place was. In fact, he dozed off completely at one point.

On the PIE.

Near the Toa Payoh exit.

The cab slowed down from about 90 km/h to about 35 km/h before I realised what was happening. Then, to my horror, I saw his eyes in the rear view mirror and they were closed.

Closed!

I helpfully kicked him in the kidneys through his seat and woke him. And after that, he was drifting in and out of consciousness. It was pretty darn amazing that we got out of the cab in one piece. I was half expecting some other moron to hit us while we're stalled on the expressway, our cabbie asleep at the wheel.

Then we get to the Eunos exit and hmm, "Eh, sorry lah. Forgot to start the meter."

You know what, it's ok. Just get us back home and I'll be generous [read: so fuckin' grateful] and pay you the usual fare with the midnight surcharge.

I'd, in fact, keyed his license plate number on my mobile so I could write about his crappy driving (the usual, excessive braking combined with the jamming on the accelerator) before the whole sleeping thing.

Just as well then. So, driver of SHB 6018 E, please get more coffee before you take your next night shift. I'd hate to be the passenger who'd have to deal with you next.

4 Comments:

  • At 9:22 AM, November 12, 2004, Blogger Yuhui said…

    Don't forget to send your complaint to the cab companies. I'm pretty sure they'll take action if you have a valid complaint.

     
  • At 5:14 PM, November 12, 2004, Blogger Terz said…

    I don't really see the point. Cabbie loses his job, but cab company hires someone just as inept. I'd rather they have more training for smarts.

     
  • At 9:51 PM, November 12, 2004, Blogger cour marly said…

    I think it's you, Terz... something about you that trips the drivers and makes them drive like lunatics...

     
  • At 12:38 AM, November 13, 2004, Blogger  said…

    actually i don't agree with "cour marly" because i've also had bad drivers. (maybe that means i'm like terz...) but N's told me never ever to kick the driver in the kidneys from the back seat cos that might just make them do something really crazy when they wake suddenly from their comatose sleep whilst trying to drive.

    anyway, i was going home from clementi today...it was raining, the driver was *careful*. the lorry on 6th avenue in front of us crashed into the car in front of him, and my dear cabbie became a spectator of all that, and it wasn't until i reminded him that he tried to switch lanes. and even then, it wasn't successful, so we basically waited till the accidental people exchanged details that we got to move on.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home