terse & at large

GRRRRR. Arrrgh. And sometimes a travel log.

Monday, July 26, 2004

Joy

Just got our wireless router and modem today and I'm already feeling inspired to write 1000-word essays on a daily basis.

There's nothing like being in the boondocks of technology after my PacNet broadband modems died on me for the umpteenth time, and then having to endure a 56k dial-up connection for the last year and a half, to make me gush about my new and improved connection.

Here and now: I'm where I ought to be. Might even find the time to upload photos onto Fotolog more regularly now. Just realised that I haven't been back there since before the trip to Vancouver and since that time, my Gold Camera membership had lapsed and I'm back on a-photo-a-day.

Oh well.

***

Collected the college class photos from the printers today. Fortunately I had the foresight to bring along luggage. And boy, did it come in handy.

Even then, it was quite a bit of a struggle. I'll probably not be able to check into a Valuair or Air Asia flight without having to pay extra for the additional weight.*


* A little something I found out yesterday at a gathering of friends from the Class of '96: apparently part of the no-frills service you get on the budget airlines is that your luggage allowance is only 15 kg. Which sucks, IMHO. That's pretty much just my equipment (oh scrub your filthy mind!): camera bodies (2 SLRs), two lenses, a flash, assorted wires and accessories for the camera= 8.9 kg; G4 15" PowerBook= 3 kg (or thereabouts); tripod= 2.3 kg; assorted wires and other fun stuff for the laptop and tripod and the bag itself= 1.5 kg; for a grand total of 15.7 kg.

Man, and I was so hoping to be able to fly for cheap.

1 Comments:

  • At 7:46 PM, July 26, 2004, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ah, the joys of wireless broadband. Once you use it, there is no turning back. I am proud user of a first generation Airport for Mac, back when the damn things cost $600 per hub, plus $189 per Airport card. Spent close to $1000 to set it up with an overpriced SCV cable service, but never regretted it. The Airport (with a new wired Linksys router) is currently serving an iBook, a G4 15-inch, a Sim Lim ownself-made PC, and 2 Xboxes. Like computer lab like dat.

    Eh, I also got Fotolog. But play play only lah.

    -mb (www.mrbrown.com)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home