terse & at large

GRRRRR. Arrrgh. And sometimes a travel log.

Sunday, April 10, 2005

Update from Medan

Well, I'm back from Nias and writing at the Medan Secretariat of Mercy Relief. More updates on that trip (with images) at a later date. It's another 3 hours before my flight out and I'm taking this opportunity to relax for a bit before boarding.

For now:

1. It's amazing that the sun in Medan burns as brightly as Singapore, but it doesn't feel as hot. Probably because there are more tree-lined boulevards here than in Singapore. Who's 'Clean and Green' now?

2. Nias is a wonderful place. Was. Still is. Beautiful beaches, great sunsets. Friendly people. Just the threat of a 4 to 6.8 on the Richter scale aftershock once in a while. Had three medium-sized ones while I was there, even though I slept throught the first one. The other two happened on the same night, one hour apart. Freaky, really. But still slept like a baby after that.

3. Am leaving early because of other work commitments, but the medical team is still there.

4. I am told that the Brothers Amazinorov were booted from TAR while I was away, so there's 60% of the entertainment value of this season gone. Romber came in first again, so I guess this is as as good a time as any to reiterate: this will be the final season of TAR I'll watch if they win. Really. There's only so much smugness one can take before it becomes a turn-off.

5. ...

Um, OK, nothing else to update without spoiling the entries for the Nias trip, so I'll just go watch TV now.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home