terse & at large

GRRRRR. Arrrgh. And sometimes a travel log.

Saturday, August 13, 2005

Lunchtime Musings


Beemer Prick
Originally uploaded by Terz.

For the first time in a long while, when I was actually less dissatisfied with a cabby than usual, I run into another kind of idiot.

Said cabby, while surly, actually obeyed usual traffic laws and stopped at the edge of the yellow box you can sorta pick out in the image.

Then what happens?

Prick in the Beemer pulls up from the left lane, slots neatly into the space.

WTF?

What else could I do but to take this pic on the wonky mobile (more about that later)? Again I say, idiots of the world, beware.

***

At lunch, I learn that our dear (and only) power company is charging a friend of ours almost double what he's normally paying every month for electricity use. That's in the letter he received after he wrote in to ask about the sudden increase in expenditure.

Their reason? It's the hot season so they're charging 15% more.

OK, to a layman like me, it seems like a double charge, doesn't it? It's hot, we're using the airconditioners more, or leaving them on longer, so we're already going to be paying more. And on top of that, it's costing more per unit?

Repeat after me, WTF?

I go to the website and the increase for the period 1 July to 30 September seems to be related to rising oil prices worldwide.

So which is which now?

***

Ending lunch on a good note, R tells the story of his friend who went to a massage parlour in Chinatown Malaysia:

Friend goes for a massage. He gets a full body one, then the young woman servicing him asks:

"Sir, penis?"

"No, no, no."

She goes on for a while, then asks again:

"Penis?"

"No, no."

She goes on again, then:

"Penis! Penis!"

...

"Oh! Finish!"


Heh.

***

After lunch, I dump my things at the studio and stalk my way to Parkway Parade so as to let loose on the idiots (well, one idiot) at the M1 outlet for the wonky phone they sold me.

Seems like the MMC they gave is really crappy and attempting to use the phone cam, while saving the images taken to the memory card, elicits a "System Error" message. So I was going to go there, raise some hell (especially since I made another trip to the outlet just last Thursday to get the card changed because it was losing me my images, only to be told that it's not an M1 responsibility, but Nokia's - unfortunately I was tired that day and didn't think through the crap they fed me: they were the last point of purchase. The fault was with the MMC which was not provided by Nokia. So why the fuck should I go to Nokia in the first place?), get the card replaced, glower at the idiot some more, then coming back to the studio to await a JC student who was coming to interview me.

Then lo, halfway to PP, I tried my phone again. It worked.

Bloody hell.

Took the long walk back, my thunder abated.

Still going to change the card though, but not a hot day like today.

***

In other news: the junior college has now taken five weeks to try to pay me. And it's still not all in yet.

6 Comments:

  • At 5:50 PM, August 13, 2005, Blogger Abigael said…

    Looks like you better have a conference with the other brudder B who has the same phone as you. He's given up and is going to get himself a new MMC card.

     
  • At 5:55 PM, August 13, 2005, Blogger Terz said…

    Yeah, planning to. The 'Ah Gong' has already told me about his problems with the MMC. Apparently it's a factory defect of the batch of MMCs that went to M1.

    Which is why I'm a little more pissed off at that idiot who told me it was a phone problem rather than an M1 problem...

     
  • At 10:35 AM, August 14, 2005, Blogger joe said…

    That Junior college will take a while, always does.... Methodical when it comes to the moolah... i think not.

    Wait lor bo pian... or add a timely payment clause to the invoice.

     
  • At 10:43 PM, August 14, 2005, Blogger Terz said…

    L-inc - Well, I guess they'll have to live with not having their orders delivered to them on the date I had originally promised.

     
  • At 4:33 PM, August 16, 2005, Blogger joe said…

    Darn i wish i could do that, i invoice them upon delivery hmmmm

     
  • At 5:04 PM, August 16, 2005, Blogger Terz said…

    Well, part of it is that the classes that have not paid up haven't submitted their orders yet, so I can do this. Otherwise, it's a matter of wait-and-see like you.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home