terse & at large

GRRRRR. Arrrgh. And sometimes a travel log.

Sunday, April 30, 2006

Back to Nature


Leaves Small
Originally uploaded by Terz.

"It's the idea that people living close to nature tend to be noble. It's seeing all those sunsets that does it. You can't watch a sunset and then go off and set fire to your neighbour's tepee."

- From 'Ishmael', by Daniel Quinn



So it's been just over three years that I was last on Pulau Ubin. Some things have changed: like the new ferry terminal at Changi Village to take the bumboats (along with the security screening upon your return to the mainland); like the sudden increase in the number of Singaporeans who seem to have taken to nature in a big way - there were hordes of them on the island in the last two days I was there. Interesting because from the way they were dressed for their day out in nature, the kinds of things they were carrying and the conversations among them, they're probably the ones who'd die in about one hour if they ever get lost.

But some things don't change.

I still know the island like the back of my hand. Managed to make my way on foot down to the jetty the last two days - couldn't wait for the vehicle the first time (besides, it gave me something to do) and couldn't wait to leave the set the second time (again, it was something to do).

Plus, I think lost some weight doing that on top of everything.

Always good to me, Mother Nature is.

4 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home